Training of specialists in early intervention

The specialists in Early Intervention (EI, for its acronym in English) working with infants and toddlers with disabilities, delays or who are considered at risk, and their families. Usually the specialists working in IE with a team of professionals who provide specialized services to children, such as speech therapists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, doctors, and also possibly with assertive technology professionals. The specialists in IE coordinate the delivery of services for the child and family, and monitor the overall intervention program. They are usually the main point of contact and liaison with the family, helping parents with problems, questions and establishing a plan for the development of the child .

early intervention

The specialists in early intervention work in a variety of environments and in different types of programs. They can be used in public schools in early education programs to monitor special services for younger students. The specialists in IE often work in agencies such as Easter Seals and United Cerebral Palsy, sometimes making home visits with families or watching the child at a local center.


Each state has different requirements for specialists in early intervention and most have several different procedures for certification or license for specialists in IE. All require at least a high school diploma and experience working with children under professional supervision, but usually with limited education and experience, a person is only allowed to be an assistant early intervention. Most programs and states require at least an associate’s degree in child development or early childhood education and documented work experience. Also maybe some kind of special training provided online or through seminars required. However, to be a specialist in fully certified and authorized to design programs and monitor services for children and families early intervention is the best method to get a bachelor’s degree in child development, early intervention or a related field.

To become an early intervention specialist, a person needs to take classes such as cognitive development in early childhood, perceptual-motor development infancy and early childhood, as well as social and emotional development in early childhood. Other courses will focus on how to conduct assessments in educational technology for early childhood, the biological-medical in early intervention, concerns the exceptional child, theories and models of special education, the acquisition and development of language and language, family patterns and family intercultural studies. The classes in this field of study may include working in a child development lab or a university day care center, working in literacy centers and urban sprawl, and develop curricula for programs for infants and young children.

Other requirements
To work in a child care center of any type and have a license or certification in most states, a person will need to take fingerprints and have to undergo a verification of antecedents . In addition, many states also make a review through its Department of Human Services or family to see if there is any report filed against the person.

Maintaining the license
An early intervention specialist will need to take continuing education courses to maintain certification. Most states have a special program in which specialists in IE can earn continuing education credits. Some may be online courses, others may be weekend courses and specialized seminars. The goal is to keep updated to IE specialist with new developments in the field and keep motivated and professionally trained.