Adult children who have mental health problems

Dealing with an adult children who has mental health problems, particularly if you are living in the same house, it can be very challenging for parents. The National Institute of Mental Health and the National Alliance on Mental Illness advise parents to be adequately informed about the issues affecting your child and to know your limitations and seek support and encouragement health professionals and support groups.

 adult children


Talk with healthcare professionals your role as a parent. Your child should seek medical assistance from them if they find it possible.

Brand well established boundaries between the needs of your child and yours. The Society for Social Work Research and advocates that parents learn to care for their adult children while retaining their needs so you have time to themselves.

Explain to your son or daughter your responsibility to stay in the treatment program and continue taking medications that are prescribed. If you suffer from any serious illness such as bipolar disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, major depression or schizophrenia, your child can not remain at home.

Join a support group, as will offer you a feeling of comfort and companionship.

Tips and Warnings

  • Read books and articles that discuss how to deal with mental health problems.The article by David A. Karp entitled “Burden of sympathy: how do families coping with mental problems” will help dispel misconceptions you might have to help you feel more in control of the situation.
  • You can not take responsibility for the condition of your child, you can not cure it using only common sense to hope or chatting.
  • Take your time to find the right therapist, treated with different support groups.Some of them may give more emphasis to family members to other problems.
  • Get professional help immediately if you feel in physical or mental risk from the disease of your child.
  • Understand that you can not be responsible for the disease or the treatment of your child.
  • Although you can not force your child to take the treatment, you have the right to refuse your consistent support
  • your adult child, if you constantly leaving the treatment or medication.